Wednesday 9 October 2013

It is October again



It is October 9th again, one year exactly since my last post on this blog. It is just pure coincidence, I can assure you.

It would be a tiring and boring thing to do, should I choose to tell you about my year in detail (more so for me since I am to entertain a certain friend over GTalk while he is working over tax reports and what-not in Nairobi). Many things have happened since last year and I will tell you just a few highlights:

Since May 2013, I am done with my Law and Management studies. I have chosen to take a sabbatical break before looking for work in an office (do you honestly see me working in an office? ha!). The one year break I chose seems to be coming to an end now, because I decided to look for work. But nothing yet though.

On the hand, I have not been idle. I have been "working" as a photographer on a full time basis, if I can put it like that. It has been a most enriching experience to do so, because now that I have no lectures to attend, no dissertation to write, shooting is much more pleasant though more tiring. As always, the best thing about being a photographer, is that you get to meet so many different people and see so much more of the country. I have discovered so many amazing things and seen many of my friends blossom in the same art as me (see my buddy Isfaaq Caunhye's page). The environment could not be anymore appropriate for people like me, to evolve in.

Since last December, I have been doing a few shoots for a new magazine called Défi Life. It was really my first time working with a magazine and I have to say it is a great thing to work with the team over there, especially Patrick Hilbert who has my thanks for getting me into this. When you have people who provide you with a project and give you space for creation, you are certain to enjoy the work. I shot the covers of the first two issues, and a third is on the way (November if I'm not mistaken).

The first issue of Défi Life magazine with the Descroizilles sisters

The second issue of Défi Life magazine with my favourite girl, Delphine Dholah


Another big highlight of the year was working with People magazine for a special issue: People In Fashion. Alexandra Webber Isaacs whom you know for her blog Style Mauritius was hired to collaborate for this special issue of the magazine. In turn, she hired Karen Pang and me as photographers. I cannot say how grateful I am to her for this opportunity. That issue focused on some of the people who have contributed to the fashion industry in Mauritius in the past years. As such, it was a golden opportunity to have the chance to work with some of the best in the field in Mauritius and to be published. We shot for about 3 months at the lovely Eureka mansion in Moka, thanks to the hospitality of the colourful character that is Jacques de Maroussem (I could not begin to describe the man; he is interesting, warm and his sense of humour is the best I've encountered). The magazine came out end of September and you can buy it in most supermarkets, libraries, etc. You'll get to read the fantastic interviews of people like designers Lionnet & Fauzou, Anastasia Ramlall (Obann), Shenaz Currimjee de Robillard (In'am) and models like Anne-Lise Ramooloo and Katia Moochooram as well as a few photographers. Here are a few pictures with first and foremost the beautiful cover done by my lovely friend Karen Pang featuring model Genevieve Bruno in a stunning dress by designer Sanjeet Boolell:

Cover of People in Fashion magazine by Karen Pang

And here are a few pictures from my shoots for People in Fashion magazine:

Model Anne-Lise Ramooloo for People in Fashion wearing a cape by In'am by Ilup

Model Vanessa Hardy for People in Fashion wearing a kaftan by AS by Anu Singh

Model Deborah Jubeau posing as muse for make up artist Cedric Lanappe for People in Fashion magazine

Model Delphine Dholah for People in Fashion wearing Oriya by Annabelle Fleury

Model Jasmina Ruben for People in Fashion magazine wearing a dress from Coco Millen

Model Jasmina Ruben for People in Fashion magazine wearing a top from Coco Millen

Model Sophie de Marigny posing in an ensemble by designers Lionnet & Fauzou for People in Fashion magazine

From left to right, model Sophie de Marigny, designers Fabien Fauzou & Anais Lionnet for People in Fashion magazine

Designer Saskia Pougnet wearing one of her own creations for People in Fashion magazine

Designer Saskia Pougnet wearing one of her own creations for People in Fashion magazine

Model Elisa Hugnin wearing a dress and necklace by designer Saskia Pougnet for People in Fashion magazine

Model Elisa Hugnin wearing a dress and necklace by designer Saskia Pougnet for People in Fashion magazine

Another highlight of this year was doing a shoot for Essentielle magazine. There is nothing much I want to say about it, except that it was an amazing shooting day that I had with the wonderful team made up of Jasmina Ruben as fashion editor and stylist, Deborah Jubeau as model, Hans from Sasha Coiffure as hairstylist, and lastly, my dear friend Cedric Lanappe who did an incredible job that day, and listened to all my needs and wants to create the desired make up. And a big thank you to Kiran Gidwani Tolaram (Tolaram & Tulsidas) and her husband for the beautiful sarees, lehengas, and jewelries. 

For those who want to know more about the editorial "Incredible India", Jasmina decided to showcase the different types of Indian women from whom many Mauritians hail from: The South Indian woman in her colourful saris; the Bengali woman dressed in churidar whose colours reminisce the sweet candies we eat at Divali;  the Bihari woman whose saree spells of luxury and nobility; the Mumbai woman who sparkles in her sari like the lights of Divali; the New Delhi woman who is always modern and sensual; the Penjab woman who exudes strength and femininity;  and last but not least the Gujarati woman whose richness and sensuality never fail to show in the lehenga she wears.

Here is the cover picture for the magazine, albeit it's not my original framing (the picture was cropped - the hand mostly):

The Bihari woman channeled by Deborah Jubeau with make up by Cedric Lanappe for Essentielle N. 82 (October 2013)


Now talking about Cedric Lanappe, I was elated when he asked me to do a few pictures to be featured for his make up show at Backstage @ Hennessy a few months ago. I shot the ever so lovely Sophie de Marigny and for the first time, Katia Moochooram and Deborah Jubeau (that girl is  awesome!). Here again, a few pictures for you to catch up on what you've missed (if you did, that is). Just so you know, the pictures from Cedric Lanappe's make up show "Pigmentation" are currently exposed at the Dias Pier in Caudan Waterfront. Drop by to have a look at the works I did, but also the other fantastic portraits by Karen Pang and other photographers as well.

Katia Moochooram by make up artist Cedric Lanappe

Sophie de Marigny by make up artist Cedric Lanappe

Sophie de Marigny by make up artist Cedric Lanappe

Sophie de Marigny by make up artist Cedric Lanappe

Sophie de Marigny by make up artist Cedric Lanappe

Sophie de Marigny by make up artist Cedric Lanappe

Deborah Jubeau by make up artist Cedric Lanappe

With those magazines and collaborations, it has been a most engaging experience for me to meet so many different faces and get to know them and become their friends as well. As always, photography is a wonderful job and I'm blessed to be able to practice it. It has become such a huge part of my life and every thing I look at, I look at differently since I've got into photography. But above all, photography is simply a marvelous hobby to indulge in!

Now I need to go back to entertaining this dear friend who's halfway done with his tax analyst stuffs and I need to get done with the editing of some shoots (yeah you know, photographers do not just click, we have to sit in front of our computer as well! Booooring! but necessary). I hope you liked this post. More coming soon, I promise.

Until then, have a lovely evening.
Khatleen








No comments :

Post a Comment